In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Those ailments included scabies, a parasitic skin infection, and impetigo, a bacterial infection linked to poor sanitation.
- Not surprisingly, malnourishment and illness like fevers, coughs, malaria, scabies and diarrhoea are common.
- Without an adequate water supply children cannot wash often enough and so contract eye infections and skin conditions such as scabies.
- Children who had any rash other than scabies, heat rash, or insect bites were referred to the project physician for a clinical assessment.
- The bathing had been ordered to control an outbreak of scabies, a skin disease.
- This bad water has caused skin diseases such as impetigo, scabies and eczema, as well as chronic diarrhea problems.
- Consequently malaria, diarrhoea, scabies and respiratory diseases are rife.
- She diagnosed flu, pneumonia, upper respiratory illnesses like asthma, rashes and scabies.
- They sometimes develop crusted scabies, with thickened skin and possibly thousands of mites.
- While animal strains of scabies exist and can infect humans, the mites cannot complete their life cycle or be passed to other hosts.
- The present epidemic of scabies in the United Kingdom originated in the catchment population of this hospital in early 1990 and continues to be a problem.
- For the diagnosis of scabies, skin scrapings have high specificity but low sensitivity.
- This is mainly due to hunting and to diseases such as pneumonia, scabies and sinusitis caught from introduced sheep.
- The skin infection scabies isn't necessarily passed on through intercourse, but as it involves close physical contact it's a possible method of transmission.
- Limited water for washing leaves people vulnerable to skin diseases like scabies and surviving animals can spread diseases.
- After entertaining all the usual sexually transmitted diseases, JTL treated the patient for scabies.
- A person with scabies can spread the infection before his symptoms have started.
- Some skin conditions, including eczema, scabies and hives, can cause itching.
- Although a nuisance rather than a serious threat to general health, scabies is the best known of the diseases in man which are caused directly by mites.
- Fewer babies are covered with scabies and other skin diseases.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.