In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(structure)andamiaje masculineandamios masculine
- The court was told Francis claimed he had seen a couple of people with machetes or metal scaffolding poles.
- During the early hours of Sunday vandals overturned the towering scaffolding outside the school, causing flags and poles to crash into the road.
- A 19-year-old man has died after falling from a roof on to scaffolding at a building site in Colchester.
- During construction, these planks were suspended on scaffolding while concrete floors and columns were poured around them.
- And no one was hurt at Boston's Fenway Park today when temporary scaffolding collapsed.
- The station on Drove Road currently resembles a building site, after work-men erected scaffolding around the 44-year-old tower.
- The scaffolding outside the window of his office at Edinburgh's St Andrew's House brings to mind the phrase ‘Work in progress - wear a political hard hat’.
- The scaffolding from a building that was being repaired from Ivan was sheered off and tossed into a nearby visitor center.
- A scaffolding pole came crashing in through the rear window, spearing between Caroline and Astor and exiting through the windscreen.
- Were these holes cut to support wooden beams for scaffolding?
- As more and more people crowded on to wooden and steel terraces which resembled nothing more than glorified scaffolding, the structures began to sway, and stresses were placed on steel joints which they were not designed to bear.
- But the construction work went ahead anyway - with the loss of the lives of two workmen when scaffolding collapsed and the stone they were working on fell on them.
- Solutions were also needed to solve problems of working inside the old building, such as setting wooden letterboxes into the walls to slide scaffolding poles inside, as these could not be brought through the front door.
- The walls rotate around me and further on I can see what looks like an angled metal structure, kind of like metal scaffolding, but with an angled purposeful design.
- A worker was seriously injured on Friday after falling 30 ft from scaffolding outside a house in Melksham.
- Cocooned in scaffolding and planks, Manchester's majestic John Rylands Library is undergoing a facelift that will see it restored to its original glory, albeit with some modern touches.
- It is also excellent for use in temporary facilities such as scaffolding, staging, job shacks and other job-site structures that are not normally protected against fire.
- In some cases there have been reports of scaffolding poles being thrown through windscreens of fire engines, crews being attacked by concrete blocks, being shot at and equipment being tampered with.
- Construction work is still being completed on the other floors and scaffolding still surrounds the building.
- The oil company began as a contractor for larger companies, servicing pipes and building scaffolding, before expanding into exploration.
- As a building material, bamboo is still commonly used today in Hong Kong in two main ways: as scaffolding for construction and for small temporary structures.
- Materials have included 28,000-ft of scaffolding weighing 72 tonnes, 300 kg of plaster and 880 litres of pink and cream paint.
- One way the new nanotubes can be customized is by using them as scaffolding for other materials.
- Mr Allen spent six weeks in intensive care after the accident when scaffolding being carried in a truck smashed through the windscreen of his Fosseway Coaches bus.
- It has been created out of scaffolding and is clad with plywood covered in a mesh fabric.
- Portable buildings, truck loads of scaffolding, compressors, mini-diggers and a gang of men wearing hard hats and fluorescent jackets took over the site in January.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.