In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If the bacteria spreads to a wound it can cause more serious illnesses including scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, pneumonia, and occasionally it can be life threatening.
- After childhood bouts with scarlet fever and pneumonia, she decided to become a nurse.
- Group A streptococci also produce toxins that can cause circulatory collapse in streptococcal toxic shock syndrome or fever and a rash in scarlet fever.
- Passengers were inspected for contagious diseases such as small pox, yellow fever, scarlet fever, and measles.
- In 1936 an outbreak of scarlet fever and diphtheria led to many Croydon residents being hospitalised for lengthy periods.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.