In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(learned person)erudito masculineerudita feminineestudioso masculineestudiosa femininea Bible scholar — un especialista en textos bíblicos
- Arabic scholar — arabista
- Latin scholar — latinista
- Oriental scholar — orientalista
- scholars have been unable to agree on a date — los especialistas / estudiosos no se han puesto de acuerdo en la fecha
- With some notable exceptions, few scholars have been able to develop their writing skills while fulfilling their obligations to teaching and research.
- I really admire her as a person and as a writer; and I think she has been the foundational theorist for a lot of women who are writing and who are scholars today.
- Trained as literary scholars, ecocritics read and write differently than historians, but not very differently.
- A first book of the poems, The Poetical Works of Edward Taylor, followed in 1939, after which poets and scholars began to read him and write about him.
- The shifts and changes in sciences were initiated primarily by the women scientists and by the feminist scholars writing about science, like Keller.
- What scholars have been able to come up with is based on bits and pieces of his work (plays, poems, sonnets, critical essays, etc.).
- It takes virtually no account of all that scholars have been able to learn about Egypt since the decipherment of hieroglyphics.
- Perhaps this entry, like some of the others written by German scholars, has suffered in translation.
- Most items in these two categories are original contributions written by fellow textual scholars, critics, actors, directors and reviewers.
- I am persuaded, however, that they are fine scholars, and have written an important book that future research in this area will need to take into account.
- Though not written by scholars, they engaged with a work of history in ways that exposed the interesting features of a book and displayed the erudition and style of the reviewer.
- In short, this book will be required reading for scholars of eastern railroads and few others, but may be read for pleasure and no little gain by other transport historians.
- These scholars first write brief position papers, which are read by the group.
- It required a cadre of scholars specialized in, and devoted to, the study of organizations.
- The introduction and eleven essays were written by young scholars from Africa, Asia, Britain, Europe, the Middle East and North America.
- This is a beautifully written book by a scholar of exceptional sensitivity.
- This much has been known about Portus for generations as scholars have both read what ancient authors wrote about the harbour and explored the surviving remains.
- They were also impressed by the calibre of curators and scholars engaged to write the catalogue.
- The pamphlet was not released to the general public to read but it was pinned to the church door in Wittenburg for other scholars to read and to discuss in preparation for a full discussion at a later date.
- The Encyclopedia is largely written by younger scholars.
2(holder of scholarship)becario masculinebecaria feminine
- He is now a junior and a Point Foundation scholar at Emory University in Atlanta.
3literary(pupil)alumno masculinealumna feminineescolar
- In Lacedaemon, pedagogues chastised their scholars by biting their thumb.
- Upper Iowa University recognized 122 Athletic Department student scholars between games of a home basketball doubleheader in late January.
- At 14 he returned to being a full-time scholar at Dunbar High School, where he excelled at mathematics, and then at 16 he went back to the millwright's trade.
- He lived in the imperial capital Beijing from 1523 to 1526 before retiring back to his native city to live the life of a scholar and a gentleman.
- She drew attention to the centre's complementary courses aimed at preparing scholars for university entrance.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.