In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1colegial masculineescolar masculine(humor/slang) (before noun) de niños (de colegio)he has a schoolboy passion for astronomy — la astronomía le apasiona como a un niño
- It'll be your way of reminding people that you haven't really changed since those schoolboy days of yore, that you're still the same crazy guy at heart.
- Could the competitiveness of schoolboy games be fuelled by over-the-top media coverage, one wonders?
- In union they changed the rules, trying to get referees particularly at schoolboy level to make the scrum safer; is there any evidence of that preventing injuries?
- My sense is that Orwell had a head full of poems, most of them accumulated in schoolboy days and soon afterwards when he must have done prodigious reading.
- More dubious than any of these schoolboy larks is the lengthy section of tragedy-as-farce set in present-day Lithuania.
- Although it won't be the last time he tours in Ireland, don't miss this extra chance to check out his hilarious, acutely observed anecdotes and cheeky schoolboy humour.
- All childish schoolboy humour, no doubt, but we enjoyed it enormously and laughed ourselves silly.
- Jack progresses from schoolboy actor to movie star.
- But these schoolboy verses, remarkable as they are, show little indication of the extraordinary style of 18 Poems.
- When he extended his hand for me to use as leverage I got the slight impression that yes, he did have some form of schoolboy crush on me.
- As a matter of fact, his screw-ups would make ours look like schoolboy pranks.
- His lawyer described the incident as "a schoolboy prank" that got out of hand.
- The Brits, with their propensity for schoolboy humour and scatology, deal with the subject by uproarious laughter.
- That's maybe it, muddled up as it was with schoolboy ideas of roaming the world's seas on endless adventures.
- We are on the lovers' side, and yet as Gaveston schemes betrayal from the word go, and as Spencer comes tumbling after him in Edward's affections, we sense more schoolboy crush than heartfelt passion.
- Spending more than an hour greeting a well-behaved group that queued with schoolboy grins, she lavished her attention on the well-deserved throng with photos and autographs.
- The audience becomes preoccupied with this sort of schoolboy brawl.
- I hadn't realised how many guys had schoolboy crushes on Wonder Woman so when I walked on set looking a bit like her, their jaws just dropped.
- In the macho world of grown-up schoolboy car freaks, no fate is worse than that of spinning a car in front of your peers.
- Worried sick about their youngest beloved, mum and dad breathe a sigh of relief when long term schoolboy chum and well respected local policeman, Nino, moves in with him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.