In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1compañero de colegio masculinecompañera de colegio femininehe was a schoolmate of mine — era compañero de colegio mío
- Auden seems to have impressed his teachers and schoolmates by his wide knowledge and self-assurance.
- Kids walked to school together, their schoolmates were their neighbors, and they all came home for lunch.
- By the time he graduated from high school his schoolmates had voted him ‘person most likely to succeed’.
- We also meet his schoolmates from the Lycee at Tsarskoe Selo, an elite school founded by the emperor Alexander I, of which Pushkin's was the first graduating class.
- Due in part to his dearth of footballing talent, he lived vicariously through the campaigns and conquests of his schoolmates and friends of greater sporting capacity.
- He sat down on the hood of his best friends car and they started to watch their schoolmates go into the school building.
- Parents of their son's schoolmates, his teachers, his principal, school administrators and members of the community all know the boy.
- She nodded and, as their orders arrived, their conversation turned to lighter topics such as what Lynn thought of her school and her schoolmates.
- The first 45 minutes are spent in the homes of the eight contenders, interviewing their parents, siblings, teachers and schoolmates.
- Their circle of friends, their schoolmates, and their athletic teams are much more varied than those of even a generation ago.
- Asking one's friends and schoolmates to participate in these camps was a natural course of events.
- I met more of my future classmates and schoolmates, and a couple of James and Madison's friends.
- As children we were eager to swap comics with schoolmates; in college we freely lent books to each other.
- The friend is a schoolmate threatened with expulsion by their teacher, not for failing to do his homework, but for failing to do it in his notebook as the teacher requires.
- But her schoolmates and her school have really helped her through.
- As a former schoolmate and family friend of Stanhope, he is extremely excited to be there.
- My classmates and schoolmates shunned me in school for causing my mother's and my cousin's death.
- She had many good friends who were boys - all whom which were considered as soccer buddies or schoolmates, but she was never involved in relationships of any sort.
- Most importantly, when I felt the need to be strong in front of everyone else, including my family, friends, and schoolmates, they allowed me to be human.
- But there was also the support we got, from friends and family, from teachers and coaches and schoolmates.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.