In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tijeras femininetijera femininea pair of scissors — unas tijeras
- This is celebrated by a playful ritual in which the baby is given a number of gifts, such as a pencil and a pair of scissors.
- He grabbed a pair of scissors from a desk drawer and cut the tape from her ankles.
- Using tiny scissors, the trimmers carefully shape the buds.
- With cuticle scissors, trim unruly or longer hairs above the upper brow line.
- With another quick glance around, he saw that the first aid kit was open and that the pair of scissors contained within were missing.
- Briefly, at a signal, two opponents show each other one of their hands, shaped like a rock, a piece of paper, or a pair of scissors.
- Unfortunately, with this type of packaging a pair of scissors or a knife is necessary to forcefully remove the contents.
- I looked in the mirror and took to my hair with the kitchen scissors.
- With a sharp scissors, snip off a very small corner of the baggie.
- I needed a pair of scissors to finally cut it open.
- Simply cut the foam to length with a pair of scissors, peel off the backing paper, and press it firmly against the doorstop.
- All I had to do was sit still for a minute, while she snipped a profile with tiny scissors.
- To harvest, just take your kitchen scissors and cut what you need.
- Use small, sharp scissors or a utility knife and cutting mat.
- A small suture scissors was used to " fish " for the deeply embedded hair.
- Airport security presumably confiscated her tweezers and manicure scissors.
- Grabbing a cube of ice, a pair of scissors and her threaded needle, she returned to her patient.
- Tiles are easily cut with a utility knife or a pair of scissors, and will cut even easier if you first warm the tile with a blow dryer.
- He picks up the little nail scissors and begins to snip at his beard.
- The shirt had a long slash across the abdomen where it looked like somebody had cut through it with a knife or a pair of scissors.
2.1also scissors jumpSport
(in high jump, skating)salto de tijera masculinetijera feminine
- That's where exercises like the scissor cycle come in.
- With a burst of summoned energy, Ryo shot his legs in the air, slamming into Leigh's ankles in a scissor movement.
- The swimmer did a scissors kick with every two arm strokes.
2.2also scissors holdSport
(in wrestling)llave de tijera femininetijera feminine
2.3also scissors kickSportfeminine tijeretamasculine tiro de tijerafeminine tijerafeminine chilena Latin Americafeminine tijeretafeminine tijeras
patada con movimiento de tijera
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.