In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aplique masculineapliqué masculine
- The bronze sconces that lined the walls gleamed, furnished with fresh candles, and the side-tables beneath them smelled pleasingly of beeswax.
- Pillar candles in wall sconces faintly illuminate the small dining room, which is dark by day and night.
- Only if you're installing wall sconces, or recessed overhead lights, will you need to do electrical work in a room to change the lighting.
- Oil lamps burned in sconces along the walls, lighting the companions' way.
- From $3 water glasses to $1,200 ice buckets and designer sconces set into the walls, the folks like the stuff so much that they just had to take it home with them.
- Black candles flickered in sconces on the walls and by the trencher.
- The sconces on the walls varied - they were both on display and currently in use.
- No corner of the room had been neglected - even the wooden torches burning in the wall sconces had been carved with intricate flowers and leaves.
- She held her sword firmly in her hand, the elven blade gleaming in the firelight the radiated off of the torches that were in the sconces along the wall.
- Thread the fabric through the wreath and let it fall lightly across each lighting sconce.
- The door was in a darker part of the corridor that led down to their rooms on the upper floor and Edmund took a candle from one of the wall sconces, lighting it and holding it steady by the ornate lock plate.
- In the wide corridor, the candles guttered in the sconces on the wall.
- The Revivalist home styles of the 1920s brought a craze for wall sconces - another gaslight derivative - but the fashion had largely died out by the end of that decade.
- They resemble cone-like wall sconces, and the colorful abstract shapes covering their surfaces appear to glow like stained glass windows.
- This show lounge has such Art Deco-style touches as stylized, elongated female figures on the curtain, typical wall sconces, and skyscrapers in a sunburst pattern on the ceiling.
- She deftly detached a lantern off a nearby sconce on the wall.
- There was a small bookshelf against one wall and some lovely wall sconces.
- Or wall sconces, but that would, again, involve hiring an electrician to install them.
- Fakes are currently thought to be made in Spain and Italy, and include copies of wall sconces, alms dishes, ladles, candle moulds and other popular and valuable forms.
- Sound is presented in a simple Dolby Digital 2.0 mix and will not rattle sconces from your walls or make the neighbors head for the hills.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.