In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- More traditional grub, such as a cheese and onion pasty or Scotch egg, follows in the evening.
- Tarquin tucks into the final Scotch egg with a deep sigh, and lies back contentedly on the rug as the drizzle begins to fall.
- He is doing a roaring trade in excellent meat pies, a range of scrumptious sausages and the most authentic Scotch eggs we have tried, Scotland included.
- I don't really miss any English food when I'm in Los Angeles, apart from maybe a nice Scotch egg down my local pub.
- I had a couple of glasses of sparkling mineral water and a few mini Scotch eggs, and pretended to be interested in what was going on.
huevo duro envuelto en carne de salchicha y rebozado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.