In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1whisky escocés masculinegüisqui escocés masculine
- In many households there is a strong tradition of serving the bun with Scotch whisky; but the bun may of course be found in households where Scotch whisky is never consumed.
- Better than Baileys, it is certainly the best cream liqueur tasted, made with Scotch whisky.
- Beer and rum, including a fairly raw variety known as aguardiente are the most popular alcoholic drinks, although urban elites prefer Scotch whisky.
- The US is the world's biggest market for Scotch whisky.
- His drinks of choice are Pernod, Tequila, Southern Comfort, Jim Beam and any Scotch whisky that costs more than Chivas Regal.
- All this prosperity makes Norway an expensive place: a bottle of decent Scotch whisky, for example, costs £35.
- There is the famous instance of Chivas Regal Scotch whisky losing sales when it cut prices, thereby reducing its status as a prestigious gift.
- The first commercial back on air after days of advertising-free programming on CNN International was for Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky.
- The extraordinary success story of Scotch whisky is built on a world-class example of myth - making and alcohol-fuelled mysticism.
- He had settled himself comfortably as if he had all the time in the world, ordered a large peg of his favorite Scotch whisky, and then, things just went out of control.
- The best American piece is on how Scotch whisky still poured into the USA during Prohibition.
- At night, luxuriate at charming inns, sampling Scotch whisky.
- But not long ago, I went to a tasting with a twist: The food was matched with six single-malt Scotch whiskies, each with its own fragrance and flavor.
- Older is not necessarily better when it comes to fine single-malt Scotch whisky.
- The special triple blending process makes Chivas Regal 18 Year Old the smoothest, richest Scotch whisky in the world.
- Pernod's roots may be in aniseed but Scotch whisky is today the largest sector in the French company's portfolio and the one to which it is giving top spin.
- A merger of Pernod and Allied, whose brands include Ballantine and Teacher's Scotch whisky, therefore looked the likeliest outcome.
- Most of their output was blended Scotch whisky rather than single malt, primarily the Highland Queen and Bailie Nicol Jarvie brands.
- Exports of Scotch whisky soared to £2.2bn last year.
- By law, all Scotch whisky must be aged at least three years, and few brands enter the U.S. without being aged at least four years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.