In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine exploradorfeminine exploradorafeminine escuchafeminine patrulla de reconocimientofeminine avanzadamasculine vehículo de reconocimiento
- As the soldiers leapt from the boats, Rhia watched them move quickly up the beach, taking up position, sending advance scouts.
- A scout ahead of the main group gave Seth the final signal that the men were ready to detonate the charges, by reflecting the sun in a piece of glass.
- Then, Spetnaz troops and scouts were sent ahead of the armor to eliminate RPG-armed snipers.
- It can direct close air support missions, act as a killer scout on the battlefield and help protect friendly troops.
- Many Native soldiers were used as reconnaissance scouts and snipers and were very effective at their craft and won much acclaim for their deeds.
- Some units deploy their scouts forward, while others do not.
- Four days had passed before Lord Light ordered his force to a halt, and sent scouts out ahead to find the disposition of the bridge.
- We sent a picket ship as a scout, your government destroyed half of it, and stole all the remains.
- When scouts reported a river ahead, the army dissolved into a mob and ran for it.
- From here General Custer sent scouts out to ascertain the strength and locality of the enemy.
- The Indian scouts attached to Custer's overland force were among the best in the Montana and Wyoming area.
- Gadi sent ahead five scouts and they all came back with reports.
- The Germans had developed some new techniques - one of which was to have several layers of scouts flying in close formation, one on top of another.
- The insignia depicted the head of an Indian scout wearing a helmet peering through a cloud, signifying the squadron's role as an aerial scout for the Army.
- The surviving M3 tank, along with the scouts, began movement back to the main body of the 45th Infantry.
- Collection efforts of the RSTA squadron and infantry battalion scouts should be complementary.
- There are thirty fighters, two scouts, ten bombers, and three long range fighters.
- Now we have sent one of the village's best scouts to gather further information, so that our village will be prepared for an attack.
- They were to get behind enemy lines and act as scouts and gather intelligence to feed back to British military headquarters.
- Of course, that suggestion had been shot down faster than a Spectral scout.
- With both reconnaissance scouts dead, Theorton grabbed the assault rifle of one and ducked behind the nearest boulder in sight.
- The scouts gathered the information they wanted without any excitement, just like the first trip, and turned onto a road that would take them out of town.
- We will also see a significant increase in the number of scouts to man UA reconnaissance formations.
- Because they have night vision capabilities, the snipers can track and engage several enemy scouts during training.
- Advance scouts rode ahead into the darkness, but the enemy seemed to have withdrawn.
- Just then, the scouts he had sent ahead, came running back.
- In response, he began sending his advance scouts further afield as they drew closer to the enemy.
1.2(look, search)to have a scout around (the area) — explorar / recorrer la zona
- He fancied a scout round Victoria but I told him I preferred Wapping instead.
- With a preliminary scout of the area and a sketch map, we were someway nearer as to understanding where everything was in relation to each other.
- I want to have a quick scout round.
2masculine exploradormasculine (boy) scoutfeminine exploradorafeminine (girl) scoutbefore noun the scout movement — el escutismo
4(at Oxford University)criado masculine
1Militaryreconocer el terreno
2(search)andar en busca dehe was scouting for work — andaba en busca de trabajo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.