In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chatarrero masculinechatarrera feminine
- If their owners don't claim them soon, they'll be transported to a scrap merchant's and unceremoniously put through the crusher.
- Screws holding the plaques stolen last month in place were sawn off and it is feared the thieves may attempt to sell them to scrap merchants.
- Firefighters tackled a massive blaze involving at least 100 vehicles at a York scrap merchant's yard today.
- Nearby a scrap merchant was weighing a crate full of spent shell-cases.
- He had set up a deal with a scrap merchant to sell the track for £40 a tonne but was arrested before any money changed hands.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.