In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The road turns to stone, the slopes to scree, and then came the top, the heather and our sandwich stop.
- Within an hour the gentle slope has careened skyward, and with each step loose bits of scree tumble down on those unfortunate enough to be bringing up the rear.
- Above us scree slopes hung like frozen waterfalls, vast boulders strewn among them where they had tumbled.
- At its top end, the trench opened out into a shallow circular pit that had been built up with a parapet of scree stone and mud from the valley bottom.
- Measurements were taken over 200 second intervals on vertical faces which had had as much loose scree and weathered material removed as possible.
- At 9:20 A.M., I left the camp in a fresh 20-knot wind and headed off, slowly pacing up the treacherous rocky scree slopes.
- That stone-heap on a west-facing slope, is it scree, or a cairn, or the remains of a house?
- The roof gives one the sensation of sitting in a dry riverbed or mountain scree slope, particularly because it lacks containing barriers.
- The view back down the valley was also becoming grander as we rose high above the dark scree slopes and meandering river.
- It's a steep climb to the gap over loose scree and boulder slopes but the climbing eases off once you enter the narrow confines of The Window.
- They nest in colonies in scree slopes along ice-free Antarctic and sub-Antarctic coasts, where they lay a single egg in a natural cavity.
- I did some useful snow cartography of slopes and took measurements of scree slopes.
- My knees were knocking just a little by the time I got down and I would recommend anyone who didn't like loose rock and scree to go back down the way they came.
- Melting ice gave way to continual rocks falling down scree slopes and into glacial streams and underground ice caves.
- We follow a path through the Montezuma Basin, then cut across slopes of scree.
- Last autumn found me on a grueling research trip in the eastern Sierra, hauling heavy video equipment cross-country over loose scree and high passes.
- This leads to the production of extensive areas of broken rock and large scree slopes.
- Leaving Alex to study for his biology degree, we walked out into the swirling mists and up the steep slopes of volcanic scree towards the snowline.
- A few hundred yards, and we're on the first technical section of the route, a steep double-track with solid ground for your left tires but loose scree under your right.
- Video footage helps the controller navigate the robot and negotiate tough volcanic terrain from solidified lava flows to loose scree and rocks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.