In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) dejado(person) desaliñadoI'm too scruffy to go in there — no puedo entrar ahí en esta(s) facha(s) / con esta facha / con esta(s) pinta(s) informal
- your handwriting is getting very scruffy — tienes la letra cada vez peor
- a scruffy-looking building — un edificio de aspecto destartalado
- In seconds, it seemed, she was back in her scruffy jeans and rainbow fingerless gloves, ready to go.
- If the jeans were baggy and scruffy, the whole outfit would be unbalanced.
- Having arrived at 9am from Aberdeen, the pair were clad more as mad hatters tea party than scruffy gig chic.
- I wore it to some rather posh restaurants and not once did I feel scruffy or unkempt.
- Bit scruffy and mangy himself, but blessed with a true heart of gold.
- I felt ashamed to let anyone come to the flat because it was filthy, smelly and scruffy.
- There was just one other sad, unfulfilled customer at the bar, trying to catch the eye of the scruffy teen working the pumps.
- I always promised to do better but I was an incurably scruffy boy who never did do well on the pulled-up socks side of life.
- It's all about contrasts and contradictions - the smart and the scruffy, the rough and the smooth.
- Certain parts of Bolton are dirty and scruffy, caused by a minority of dirty people and neglect.
- And then he glanced at his own almost crumpled gray shirt and the plain scruffy jeans.
- The whole head is fluffed up and gently back-combed, so that it looks scruffy and unkempt.
- My winter coat is too warm for this time of year and my jeans jacket is too scruffy for work.
- He pulls his curly locks back into a bushy ponytail and wears a somewhat scruffy goatee.
- Born in 1912, Turing was a shy, scruffy young man, but a gifted mathematician and scientist.
- He was looking down, he was scruffy, he had dirty jeans and he was not on this planet.
- He's dressed in scruffy jeans and a faded biker jacket, talking in quiet, understated tones.
- His scruffy appearance made him look dirty next to the clean bright sterile walls of the hospital.
- One had blond hair and was scruffy, with a blue top and jeans, while the other wore a dark blue top.
- Zach was decked out in the same scruffy jeans he'd been wearing in the video.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.