In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in rugby)melé (ordenada) femininescrum masculine
- The game was played under veteran's rules, which limit kicking and pushing in scrums in order to ‘even’ the playing field.
- The scrums are going forward, opposition scrums are going back under sheer power and sublime technique.
- It's great for a front-row forward to look up from a scrum and see the ball trickling into touch 40 metres down the pitch.
- Since they had no replacement front row forward the scrums were uncontested for the remainder of the game.
- 87 mins: Australia lose possession at the scrum with a Smith knock forward.
- With good restart possession from scrum and line-out they threw everything at a dogged CYM.
- Ilkley's powerful front five had worn down the Heath pack and were pushing the Heath scrum backwards.
- City responded immediately when Crooks forced the ball home through a scrum of players from a corner.
- Bees leant Keighley a front row player and uncontested scrums were the order of the day.
- For the first time in ages, the opposition scrum was actually going backwards and the psychological boost that gives you is immense.
- Taxi wardens will patrol Manchester city centre to stop revellers brawling in the scrum for a Christmas cab.
- At Galashiels station there was a huge crowd and a media scrum as I shook hands with the driver and the provost and boarded the train.
- The home crowd were enthralled by Latapy, but the scrum of scouts there to watch Darryl Duffy left with one breathtaking moment to relay to their employers.
- As one of the major rugby pubs in the area it was quite a scrum during the recent Six Nations and Heineken Cup matches with Harlequins and Kingston Rugby Club teams popping in for the odd pint.
- A huge scrum developed around the vehicles as desperate people tried to get places.
- I guess that was so they didn't disturb the scrum of journalists crowded round a wide-screen telly watching the football.
- Fifteen minutes later the gig descended into a scrum with Ryder and Bez brawling on the floor.
- So no info on media scrums o/s office, I'm afraid.
2British(melee)avalancha femininemarabunta feminine humorous informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.