In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Boldly sculpted steel escape stairs jut from the facade and a low wall encloses a play area for the daycare centre.
- Support is provided at the bottom by a horizontal transfer beam resting on sculpted concrete columns and at the top by steel members tied back to the main concrete frame.
- The handcrafted candy box frames a scene of a boy sculpting the foil wrappers of rationed chocolates into goblets.
- Two grand staircases frame the 50m long ramp, sumptuously sculpted with coiled dragons, marking the imperial emblem.
- I fell in love with the animals here, bought clay and started sculpting.
- It's one of the reasons I like sculpting the stone - it feels as though you're meeting someone with a very strong personality.
- I myself have been sculpting in wood for many years.
- From 1867 to 1890 he was an army veterinary surgeon, painting and sculpting in his spare time.
- Williamson has received multiple awards for sculpting since 1990.
- Made of cast metal and sculpted stainless steel, the line features a collection of portables including espresso machines, waffle makers, coffee mills and more.
- Copper wind chimes hang from a sculpted metal arch along the path.
- I've gone back to the figure, which I missed, but this time I'm sculpting it, and I like it much better than when I painted it.
- Sculptor Mark Patrick has been a biker all his life and began sculpting motorcycles in bronze and resin 15 years ago.
- Today, modern architects are rediscovering the joy of sculpting unusual geometries.
- One set of gardens concerns landforms made from sand, gravel, topsoil and turf sculpted into sharply edged curves.
- When she decided to return to the figure, she thought she would try sculpting rather than painting.
- ‘Painting my landscapes and sculpting my figures makes me feel I just might have found heaven on earth,’ she said.
- On the top floor, the dragon is in the air, with writhing translucent light-filled ceilings and walls curvaceously sculpted to make benches, cupboards and seats.
- Now, the reconstructed temple looks as though it has been sculpted out of cheese processed in Hollywood.
- The man-made landscape is penetrated by a series of long, horizontal pergolas made of fragments of brick, concrete, and rusted steel artfully cut and sculpted to evoke the jagged forms of urban graffiti.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.