In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(on liquid)capa de suciedad femininea scum of green slime on the pond — una capa de verdín en el estanque
- remove the scum from the stock — espumar el caldo
- The Sea is heaven's own blue like a diamond more lovely in a king's diadem than in the mines of the Indes but as it gushes up through the broken ice-like salt, it is black, full of asphalte scum - and in the hand slimy, and smarting as a sting.
- There, waste components naturally separate, with heavier solids settling to the bottom forming sludge, and lighter solids floating to the top forming scum.
- A problem may occur when the solids content rises in a lagoon, resulting in the accumulation of solids or scum above the surface.
- They may not break down readily and will contribute to the scum or sludge layers.
2.1informal (people)escoria femininethe scum of the earth — la escoria de la sociedad
- I have no doubt that this was the intent of the film-makers: that we ultimately find Ben shallow, and the crew who becomes enthralled with such scum is pitiful.
- Or is someone close to Harvey helping him rid the world of streetwalking scum?
- Sin City is the very depth and form of pulp, a contrasty, blooming monochrome nightmare of the very worst of human scum.
- And if so, who did it: the poor, drug-dealing scum from the nearby projects, or his own rich friends?
- The two cops visit snitches and the usual ghetto scum, and predictably Oak and Tellis's different methods bump heads.
- On the other hand, the general consensus seems to be that journalists are nothing but pond life scum.
- And then he replied, ‘You're nothing but Eastern scum and a capitalist rip-off son-of-a-bitch.'
- This quest takes him to underground clubs, and into contact with all kinds of scum.
- Travis has purged himself by killing this street scum, but his fate is unsettled and his ‘heroism’ is still in question.
- Danielle ‘Danny’ Sofer is conflicted, trying to maintain her femininity while beating down street scum on a daily basis.
- Oz understands that the best dynamic is one based on the universal human need to be in control of oneself and feel a sense of honesty, even amongst the most heinous of society's scum.
- Knowing that the body count was going to be considerably lower this time round I grabbed a ticket and prepared to watch Zebraman lay waste to criminal scum.
- This time, a lonely little girl's imaginary friend turns real and decides that adults are scum.
- Now he has to finish his father's work and put the kibosh on this gooey alien scum once and for all!
2.2informal (individual)you scum! — ¡canalla!
- he's just scum — es una basura
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.