In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is an extremely low level, and it represents only the amount needed to prevent health problems such as scurvy, a vitamin deficiency disease.
- Overt vitamin deficiency diseases, such as pellagra or scurvy, are uncommon in persons who consume a typical North American diet.
- A deficiency of vitamin C causes a disease called scurvy.
- To complicate matters, most men suffered from multiple diseases, including dysentery, typhoid, scurvy, and pneumonia or other respiratory ailments.
- Ascorbic acid/vitamin C. Prolonged deficiency can result in scurvy, poor wound healing and bleeding gums.
- As we now know, oranges and lemons (and many other fruits and vegetables) are excellent sources of vitamin C, and scurvy is the disease resulting from severe vitamin C deficiency.
- Modern medicine categorizes diarrhea as a symptom of a disease, such as scurvy, typhoid, malaria, and dysentery, or as a symptom of indigestible substances in the intestines.
- So it's a little bit different to the sort of classic nutritional deficiency diseases, like scurvy, it seems to be slightly more complicated than that.
- The plague, pneumonia, pleurisy, tuberculosis, smallpox, scurvy, the black lung, the yeasty oesophagus, the mildewed mouth; call it what you want just don't call it the common cold.
- Mortality among women and small children had increased by 50 per cent and hunger-related diseases such as rickets, scurvy, and tuberculosis were endemic.
- Newbies from elsewhere, even though they have to learn the scurvy trade from scratch, at least don't have to shed bad journalistic habits.
- They just sit there, keelhauling any scurvy landlubber who ventures to walk on the rocks barefoot
- Even scurvy land lubbers can talk like a pirate an’ not be called a stinkin’ bilge rat.
- And finally, there do be help available for ye landlubbers and scurvy dogs who can't talk like Pirates.
- Call me by that scurvy name one more time, and ye'll be walking the plank, I swear it!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.