In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The scuttlebutt I hear is that Enron was long to the same extent that other energy suppliers and wholesale traders were long.
- Walker took off to see if he could find out the latest scuttlebutt, leaving Emmert alone.
- This is fodder for schoolyard scuttlebutt, a ‘guaranteed to be repeated until you're sick of it’ situation that will definitely work your last nerve.
- Asked to rubbish this scurrilous piece of scuttlebutt BT has sheepishly acknowledged that it is true.
- The scuttlebutt of late is that product labels containing statements such as ‘No Hormones’ or ‘Hormone Free’ are misleading American consumers.
- If Hymath could learn of our whereabouts in Mainport, probably just from local scuttlebutt and word of mouth, then anyone else could also find us.
- I heard rumors that you had returned, Capitan Hinds, but I thought it was mere scuttlebutt.
- Certain scuttlebutt avows that the girls actually do not participate in the makings of many of these records.
- I was getting scuttlebutt that nobody really cared about anymore.
- There's some scuttlebutt that she took out the whole camp.
- I hear scuttlebutt that you got an eyes-only message from High Command over the hyperwave.
- Yet the 61-year-old Diller insists there was never anything to the scuttlebutt.
- There's been some scuttlebutt that the Enterprise is going to be involved in something pretty big, but that's all it is.
- Like most X-Box scuttlebutt, the various elements of the leaked spec. are tantalisingly plausible - bloody obvious, if you think about it, possibly too obvious - but too vague to draw any real conclusions.
- To test the accuracy of such scuttlebutt, you must next ring the flack representing the subject-company, with a wildly-exaggerated version of the dirt you got from his competitor.
- One night in Pescara, we got the scuttlebutt from a pharmacist.
- Walk more, eat less and include dairy products to help burn fat is the scuttlebutt of late.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.