In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lobo de mar masculine literary
- Though well meaning, King was temperamental and sometimes ill, a martinet sea dog who did not easily translate to ruling a fractious young colony.
- This is an interesting, insightful biography of a largely forgotten man who, though a veteran sea dogs with a distinguished record as a ship's captain, was a particularly capable administrator.
- The scum of the sea, briny sea dogs, buccaneers, pillagers, thieves, and murderers!
- Her name is Sky Whisper, and she pops in to check on us old sea dogs every few days or so.
- Tall tales were spelled aplenty amongst the old sea dogs during their retiring years.
- We are accused of destroying children's innocence - as if the bloodthirsty verse about Romans, pirates, highwaymen and old sea dogs that I had to learn in the 1950s was so innocent.
- The first step on my way to becoming the fearsome sea dog I am today was the recruitment of a particularly dastardly crew.
- Dickens called it ‘the saltiest, roughest, most piratical little place’, and a whiff of the sea dog still hangs around its working harbour, narrow backstreets and unfeasibly tall houses.
- Sea captains are always crazy sea dogs with inexplicably bad teeth.
- Anyway I have put the date in my diary and I am already looking forward to a few pints of ‘Old Bedwetter’ and some hoary old sea dog stories.
- It's a huge port town, with scruffy old sea dogs and one-eyed men with peg-legs and the like.
- Snarling, growling and oooh-arrghing like a shipwrecked salty sea dog, Jim quizzed Liz about her relationship to a Blackpool landlord.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.