In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1milla marina feminine
- Shengsi is only 31 sea miles from Shanghai and visitors can go there by sea or by road.
- It's ironic really that Omeath is closer to Warrenpoint than any other town, only one sea mile, but if you asked anybody if they knew anybody in Omeath and vice versa, the answer is usually few.
- Port Moresby on the island's southern coast was only 340 sea miles from Australia.
- Rescuers said that the ship was hit by a strong storm some seven sea miles off the Daqin Island near Longkou, which might have caused the gas explosion.
- He said all boats were fishing on the borderline and were allowed to travel through the reserve which extends out three sea miles from the shore.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.