In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1nutria de mar feminine
- A few other carnivores, such as the sea otter, are also specialized for life in the oceans.
- Hunting during the 18th and 19th centuries greatly reduced the distribution of the sea otter.
- In the north, the sea otter is thriving in areas off Alaska and British Columbia, and a translocated group off Washington State is growing.
- The sea otter's range was restricted to the North Pacific basin, at least from the Pleistocene onward.
- We went whale watching and saw two grey whales spurting in unison, dolphins, more sea lions and a sea otter.
- Attempts in 2003 to delist the southern sea otter as threatened were not successful.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.