In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1scout marino masculine
- I know, because I spent almost 10 years as a Sea Scout, and have seen from where it comes and to where it goes.
- The man repairing the drum must have been a Sea Scout because he is jury-rigging the problem with his Leatherman pocket tool.
- Five American Sea Scouts teamed up with six British scouts on a week-long canal boat cruise outside of Birmingham, England.
- ‘I still think about it,’ says May, who began boating in the Los Angeles area as a teenager in Sea Scouts.
- The Sea Scouts have a fleet of dinghies but this will mean I can practise in my spare time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.