In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(mollusc)caracol marino masculine
- The two national dishes are conch, an easily collected sea snail, rice, and peas.
- In Thule, the third most important prey by weight was the bottom-living sea snail, Liparis spp.
- They comb the sea floor for sea snails, oysters and mussels.
- Vietnam is home to a sea snail that in the process of constructing its house forms extremely rare orange melo pearls.
- For a while she assisted in his research on the nervous system of a sea snail.
- Waren said that when he first examined the sea snail, the animal's magnetized scales kept sticking to his forceps.
2(snail fish)liparis masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.