In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1erizo de mar masculine
- The inner shell of a sea urchin is a hollow globe, scored in five curved sections that taper at the ends into a small hole at the top and bottom.
- The red sea urchin's body is domed above and flat below.
- The sea urchin is one of the few marine organisms whose genome has been sequenced.
- This sea urchin defends itself with two sets of mobile spines.
- The sea urchin occupies an important evolutionary position with respect to vertebrates and humans.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.