In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(implement, impression)sello masculinethe king's/queen's seal — el sello real
- given under my hand and seal — sellado y firmado de mi puño y letra
- the seal of quality — el sello de calidad
- he gave the plan his seal of approval — dio su aprobación al plan
- it has the prince's seal of approval — cuenta con la aprobación del príncipe
- they put the formal seal on the agreement — sellaron formalmente el acuerdo
- the seal of the confessional — el secreto de confesión
- to set the seal on sth — ratificar algo
- The seals were generally cut from steatite and were carved in intaglio or incised with a copper burin (cutting tool).
- His seal was embossed on the right side of the bottom margin (difficult to see).
- A legitimate card will have a Medicare approved seal.
- Sometimes the seals were not rings but stamps of other kinds, but if it was a ring worn then it was even more creditworthy as only the wearer could make the seal on the document.
- The center has tested prototypes for food ecolabels - seals or logos indicating that a product has met a certain set of environmental and/or social standards.
- Each course was listed, dated, signed by Fred and a raised seal was embossed on the page.
- Today the seal is embossed or printed onto foil disks that are later applied to the document.
- A shore visit to the New Zealand fur seal colony was one of the other highlights of the trip.
- It is among the type A influenza viruses, which can affect humans as well as chickens, ducks, horses, seals, whales, and other animals.
- So what lay behind sudden devastation to the island's harbor seal population?
- Do you have any experiments being done here with your captive seal population?
- A young seal pup has rejoined his colony after being abandoned by his mother.
- Her comments come on the eve of the biggest seal cull in Newfoundland for decades.
- The two month hunt will occur at the birthplace of the seals on ice floes off the Atlantic coast.
- "So when a shark attacks a harbor seal pup, the carcass washes up on shore.
- For example, among true seals, the sexually dimorphic species, the northern elephant seal has distinct differences in diving behavior between the sexes.
- But that business is encountering its own problems, specifically a bottleneck in processing seal blubber for nutritional supplements.
- Seal Rock actually harvests one of the largest fur seal colonies in the world!
- Others suggest that marine species were derived at least twice, with one lineage leading to the sea lions and the other to the true seals.
- In the Antarctic, elephant seals are to be recruited.
- Nunavut communities hunt adult ringed seals, not baby harp seals.
- However, I subsequently remembered that Canada's annual slaughter of baby fur seals has just got underway again.
- Spinner dolphins, endangered Hawaiian monk seals, and green sea turtles also live here.
- An executive spokesman said there were no plans for a seal cull in Scottish waters.
- We camped outside under an enormous Hebridean sky, under the gaze of an inquisitive seal basking in the shallows.
- The genes of these viruses produce new virus variants, including those with potential to cause epidemics in other animals, like minks, seals, swine, and humans.
- At least 155 Hawaiian monk seals have reportedly become entangled in such debris since 1982.
- Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, the Hawaiian monk seal has had some of its coastal habitat protected.
- One Canadian company delivered 50,000 seal carcasses to China during 1994.
- They hunt their primary prey, the ringed seal, from the ice.
- A young seal pup appeared from nowhere, performing an underwater ballet for our benefit.
2.1(security device)precinto masculine
- I looked at the inky black lettering once more before I broke the wax seal.
- The seal was usually impressed on red wax, but was occasionally seen imprinted on a wafer stuck to the instrument with soft wax.
- Most of the seals were found to consist of mixtures of beeswax and resin.
- He replied, handing her a letter with a navy blue wax seal.
- Now the USDA seal confirms for consumers that a product does indeed contain certified organic ingredients.
- One purpose of a seal is to authenticate and confirm something as genuine.
2.2(airtight closure)cierre hermético masculinemasculine aro de gomamasculine burlete
- Your dentist will put a rubber seal around your teeth to protect your gums.
- Bah, humbug, I say as I scrape the mould off the rubber window seals.
- For the farm, a changeover to foil seals from plastic lids and a plastic inner seal may save on material waste, but did cause several alterations at the plant.
- The gasket then forms an airtight seal as the jar cools.
- The quality of the new seal creates a tighter seal, thus protecting the integrity of the product.
- The molded-in membrane creates a much better seal than anything on the market today.
- Ice cream packages increasingly are designed with seals, again added for determination of puncture or tears.
1cerrarprecintarlacrarsealed with a kiss — sellado con un beso
- my lips are sealed — prometo no decir nada
2(jar/container) cerrar herméticamente(door/tomb) precintarseal the wood before applying paint — sellar la madera antes de pintar
- seal the meat before roasting — dorar la carne antes de asarla
4sealed orders — órdenes secretas
- a sealed carriage — un vagón cerrado
5(affix seal to)(treaty/document) sellarsigned, sealed and delivered — firmado y sellado
6(decide, determine)(victory/outcome) decidirtheir fate was sealed — su destino estaba escrito
2(skin)piel de foca femininefoca feminine(coat/jacket) de (piel de) foca
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.