In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(building) registrar(building) catear Mexico(building) esculcar Latin America Southern Cone(person) cachear(person) registrar(person) catear Mexico(person) requisar Colombia(luggage) registrar(luggage) revisar Latin America(luggage) esculcar Latin America Southern Cone(records/files) buscar en(records/files) examinarto search one's memory — hacer memoria
- to search one's conscience — examinar su (/ mi etc. ) conciencia
- to search sth/sb for sth
- she searched the attic from top to bottom for the letters — revolvió todo el ático buscando las cartas
- we searched the archives for conclusive evidence — examinamos los archivos en busca de pruebas concluyentes
- I searched his face for a glimmer of recognition — busqué en su rostro algún indicio de que me reconocía
- they searched him for drugs — lo cachearon (/ registraron etc) para ver si tenía drogas
- they searched the woods for the missing child — registraron el bosque en busca del niño desaparecido
- search me! — ¡yo qué sé!
- Even I do not pay any attention to the armed guards searching me before I enter any public place.
- He said police would thoroughly search the cars of the two for illicit goods.
- His eyes frantically searched the room, in a panic.
- It is better for private security firms to search staff and guard buildings.
- Read books, get in touch with organisations and search the internet for information.
- You can search their site for trips with last-minute availability by location, activity, or date, or other criteria.
- Rescuers searched the area for three hours before they finally found the fisherman.
- By searching the database a user can find out if a match exists for the buyer or seller who they are dealing with.
- I walked to Ken's office and sat at his computer and started searching the databases.
- For this review, the authors systematically searched several databases.
- Detectives searched his house after Jodi's body was found, and took a number of items away for examination.
- I come across you useful site while searching for a hotel near the airport.
- Setting off the alarm at the security check, I was searched much more thoroughly than I'd ever been before.
- He was also frustrated at the time it took to search the Internet for new material that he was interested in downloading.
- In Boston, British soldiers search the houses of the rebel leaders in vain.
- When I searched using google, I found some interesting information.
- Upon searching the house officers also found a stash of pirate DVDs.
- Blast helps scientists search databases of protein and DNA sequences.
- Madoka asked him to search every network he knew of for information.
- The database can be searched by school name, by state and by ethnicity of students.
- The government has already extended to police the power to stop and search people suspected of buying or selling drugs.
- Now they can achieve much the same result by searching the Internet at no cost.
- The driver was searched by security guards but they did not check inside the lorry, said the newspaper.
- Practising doctors do not have time to search multiple sites or scroll through long text.
- The tanning salon was closed as police investigators searched the premises.
- Upon entering the building, the guards told Ric that they needed to search him for any weapons.
- Police and staff had to search fans for weapons before the start of the show and found items including ironing boards and kitchen sinks.
- Police searched his person and his room but no firearms were found, George maintained.
- Police then searched his house in Naklua, but once again did not find any illegal drugs.
- She did not see why the guards had to search the slaves each morning.
- Visitors to the portal can simultaneously search the databases of six large e-book shops.
- Investigators searching his room found incriminating evidence - materials matching those of the bomb.
- Teachers at a Manchester secondary school will search pupils suspected of carrying drugs.
- Quantum computation would enable one to search enormous databases with extraordinary efficiency.
- Their home address was also searched by police officers.
- So Joe was able to search the database for information about himself as well as his ancestor.
- Allow users to search their network for keywords so they can connect with others for mutual benefit.
- If people come to your site and consistently search for specific keyword phrases, then you know you are not making those keyword phrases obvious to visitors.
- So searching using 25 words will probably get you little or no results.
- Data scanned could be sent to a database that is searched automatically for certain triggers.
- We haven't abandoned Google for searching the web yet - such habits are hard to break.
1buscarir en busca de algoperseguir algo literarywe searched everywhere — buscamos / miramos en todas partes
- to search for sth/sb — buscar algo/a algn
- to search through sth
- to search after sth
- they are searching for a way to ... — están buscando la manera de ...
- they searched (around / about) for the missing ticket — buscaron la entrada que faltaba por todas partes
- we must search through his belongings — tenemos que buscar entre sus cosas
- she searched through his papers for his will — buscó su testamento entre sus papeles
1(hunt, quest)búsqueda femininesearch for sth/sb — búsqueda de algo/algn
- the search for the child continues — continúa la búsqueda de la niña
- after a fruitless search — tras una búsqueda infructuosa
- we went in search of a policeman — fuimos a buscar un policía
- they set off in search of adventure — partieron en busca de aventuras
- we're in search of new premises — estamos buscando un nuevo local
2(examination, scrutiny)masculine registromasculine esculque Latin America Southern Conefeminine inspecciónmasculine examenbody search — requisa feminine Latin America
- house search — registro domiciliario
- they made a search of the building — registraron el edificio
3Computingbúsqueda feminine(operation/time) de búsqueda
investigación del título de propiedad de un inmueble en el catastro
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.