In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine número dosmeet John, my second-in-command — te presento a John, mi asistente (or vice etc.)
- For the position of the leader, James would automatically hold the chair, and he would pick his own second in command.
- It is difficult to see Robinson as anything other than a second in command, a loyal lieutenant who fulfils his master's wishes.
- I was still looking shocked as I dialed a phone number, not Stallings, but his second in command.
- Santa Anna was captured and wrote out orders for his second in command to take the rest of his army out of Texas.
- He and his second in command then abandoned their army, leaving Grant's friend Buckner to surrender to him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.