In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1I've always been second best — siempre he sido un segundón
- she wanted to be a doctor: for her, nursing is only second best — quería ser médica: para ella la enfermería es solo una segunda alternativa
- my second-best result — mi segundo mejor resultado
- It is only a second-best pain, but it surely feels like the real thing.
- We expect aggregate figures slightly to exceed those for last year, which would make 2004 the second-best year on record.
- The adoptive parent is not a conditional parent, not a substitute parent, not a second-best parent but the real thing all the way.
- However, he gives the second-best populist pitch, after Howard Dean, of any of these candidates.
- He recognizes music as a compromise, as a second-best thing, as something that is good but far from the best.
- The second best basketball sound is the squeak of new shoes on a basketball floor.
- Phil Mickelson, by some distance the second-best player in the world, has now played in 40 Majors and has yet to win one.
- In any case, he's easily the second-best thing about the movie.
- Majority rule is a second-best solution: Less than half the voters are denied their preferences.
- So as noted, being on call Thanksgiving is the second-best scenario.
- The Grotto has been called the world's second-best diving site.
- Hewitt played through the 1990s and for much of that time was clearly the second-best hooker in New Zealand.
- It all boils down to the fact that this is a second-best world.
- Robert Heinlein observed that a second-best military is the most expensive thing in the world.
- Belgium have looked like the second best team in Group B, which will probably be confirmed by a point tomorrow night.
- This is the second-best performance of Joseph I've ever seen.
- Tuna fish is rated as the second best seafood after prawns and is of great demand in Japan and European nations.
- I cut my hair on a whim, losing my second-best feature in a few snips.
- The second-best luck is to have bought a house in Vancouver or Toronto 40, 50, 60 years ago.
- So bilateral deals are essentially a pragmatic second-best approach.
1to come off second best (to sb) — quedar en segundo puesto (después de algn)
1I was top of the class, he was the second best — yo era el primero / mejor de la clase, él era el segundo
- he won't accept second best — solo se conforma con lo mejor
- don't settle for second best: choose … — no se conforme con menos / con algo inferior: elija …
- The best surgeon can only settle for second-best if he ever needs surgery.
- At an average wage of 36,674, public servants were the second-best of all categories of workers, the report shows.
- If we can't find the exact time, then the time it was first reported is a good second best.
- She held up Jane Eyre as a plain girl who gets her man and settles for second-best.
- But second-best in the city of Milan proved beyond the pale.
- But when it came to snapping up the chances, they were a struggling second best.
- If our best social talent is no longer willing to serve politically, we inevitably suffer second-best.
- Back then, Keane had been critical of a lack of ambition, of what he saw as a willingness to settle for second-best.
- And God also seems to have the highest expectations of us, not settling for second-best or letting sleeping dogs lie.
- It's a bumpy, 39 day road to second-best and the Kerry campaign is riding it with no shocks.
- Capping noneconomic damages is a very blunt instrument, a very poor second-best.
- At the time I argued that John Smit was the second best and Gary Botha the best.
- Now, I favor second bests in many situations, but first you have to show that the best isn't feasible.
- He predicts that the Massachusetts senator ‘will look a decided second-best to Bill Clinton’.
- Another reason could be that parents themselves don't want to have to resort to second-best for their children.
- In routine ways, we are mostly happy to settle for the second best or intellectual handouts.
- But Appleby still looked second-best against Kendal's ten men and could not get hold of the ball.
- A simple example will illustrate why bribery is a second-best.
- It is rare for Kirkby to score four good tries and come second-best but they did that against a powerful Carlisle side.
- Our aim will be to be the best at whatever we do not second-best across a wide range, but the best in whatever areas we choose to operate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.