In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I woke up in the hospital at three in the morning and I could see the second hand on the clock wasn't moving.
- The man spots another clock, where the second hand has not moved at all.
- Wear a watch that has a second hand and be sure to keep an eye on it between sets.
- Try positioning yourself in view of a wall clock or use a watch with a second hand or timer.
- If you use the second hand of your watch, you will need to convert minutes and seconds into a decimal value.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.