In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ataque de represalia masculinerepresalia nuclear feminine
- In a throwback to Cold War parlance, this is called ‘assured retaliation, second strike capability’.
- Mofaz was inspecting the refitting of an Israeli Dolphin-class submarine, which experts say could be armed with nuclear missiles, giving Israel a second-strike capability if it were attacked with weapons of mass destruction.
- It is pursuing second-strike capability via sub-launched missiles.
- Yet even as the bomber forces were being built, another technology was offering more assurance of a second-strike capability: the long-range ballistic missile.
- Leaders from both countries have spoken openly about the obscenity of ‘first strikes’ or ‘second strikes’, and their willingness to use nuclear warheads.
- This in turn required each side to possess a guaranteed second-strike capability, one which could survive the opponent's massive, and possibly unanticipated, first strike.
- Defining ‘unacceptable damage’: According to the logic of nuclear deterrence thinking, it is not enough to have a second-strike capacity that survives a possible first strike.
- Then the hangars could be emptied for a second strike, and afterwards planes could be recovered to be rearmed and refueled.
- The old generals on TV talk of first strike and second-strike capabilities as though they're discussing a family board game.
- The key to deterrence is a second-strike capacity - the ability to absorb an attack on one's nuclear arsenal and still mount a nuclear response.
- An air dropped bomb is perhaps the farthest from a second strike weapon on the subcontinent.
- Lo Chih-cheng, a political analyst at the Institute for National Policy Research, expressed a wish that the US would help Taiwan develop its second-strike capability against Chinese attacks.
- India however has always maintained caution, forever urging the international community to accept Pakistan as a state sponsor of terrorism, and at all times upheld its second-strike policy.
- There's no harm in having second-strike capability, just don't use it.
- The value of second-strike capability is debatable.
- Capable of remaining submerged, nuclear-capable submarines would be the most difficult of the nuclear-delivery platforms to detect and engage, which enhances their relevance as a credible second-strike capability.
- With the raising of this division, the architecture of India's nuclear second strike capability is clearer.
- Last month it ordered two nuclear submarines from Germany in order to let Tehran know it has second-strike capacity should Tel Aviv be hit.
- The Pentagon drew up a second strike plan, and the White House again killed it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.