In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1she's on secondment to the research institute — ha sido enviada / trasladada en comisión al instituto de investigación
- Sgt Peach said one officer had been transferred to Tidworth and another was on secondment in Swindon.
- The present incumbent of this numbered post is on secondment to St Mark's and has held his current appointment for 10 years.
- She is also on secondment to the Cabinet Office, advising on how the civil service can improve its communications skills.
- In 1995, Bob Clark was appointed as director, initially on secondment from the former Rural Development Commission.
- As Mr Wood put it, the policy covers overseas secondment as well as business trips.
- Ordinarily, either party giving notice one month in advance may terminate an officer's period of secondment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.