In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(views/ideology/violence) sectario(schooling/school) confesional
- But, after the earliest period, sectarian denominations became less and less important.
- Meanwhile, three police officers were injured when sectarian rioting erupted on the streets of north Belfast on Sunday night.
- Sectarian conflict is the deliberate consequence of foreign intervention.
- One way to avoid any kind of sectarian essentializing leading to religious fanaticism is to read these texts in comparative and inclusive ways.
- Even amid the worst sectarian violence, boxers here had a kind of diplomatic immunity.
- Today those closest to our violent past seem to dominate the political landscape and many remain entranced by sectarian concerns.
- And like any church, Adventism of course has its sectarian movements and offshoots.
- The results exposed deepening sectarian polarisation between nationalist and unionist voters.
- The IRA carried out retaliatory sectarian murders.
- We are still in the process of ensuring that this armament is not sectarian in nature.
- Occasionally, sectarian concerns discouraged both Protestants and Catholics from attending branches.
- We can point, randomly, to instances that fuelled the fire of sectarian hatred.
- Access to the school had been the focus of a bitter sectarian dispute last year lasting over four months.
- At least 300 people have been killed in the Poso sectarian conflicts.
- The press charged that the statement contained the same poisons that ignite sectarian strife.
- He and his gang were planning to carry out random sectarian assassinations on Catholics in Belfast.
- They have been forced to hire devotees of sectarian Orthodoxy, who inevitably influence the religious orientation of their students.
- There is no room for petty insularity and sectarian nonsense - the Scots must see themselves as nimble enough to change and take on the world's best.
- But it has been pursued with the same sectarian, thuggish, and ultimately self-defeating spirit.
- The truth is that Northern Ireland is a state which nurtures sectarian divide and rule.
- Well first of all I don't think of religion at all in sectarian terms.
- At the Agreement's heart was a Stormont Assembly that institutionalised the sectarian divide.
- I agree that sectarian clashes are a curse and there is need to bring these to an end.
- This movement transcended religious and sectarian divisions and was determined to end the US-led occupation.
- Each religion educates its young in a sectarian way, for religionists believe that to learn one specific path is sufficient and necessary.
- The demonstration spanned the city's traditional sectarian divide, with marchers coming from every area.
- They have carried out several sectarian murders and launched hundreds of pipe-bomb and blast bombs attacks on Catholic homes.
- And the peace process itself entrenches the sectarian division between Protestant and Catholic.
- Sadr's decision will also exacerbate sectarian tensions between the Sunni and Shiite elite.
- With a separatist impulse, fundamentalism turned inward; but the sectarian subculture that coalesced was resourceful and vibrant.
- It would unleash bloodshed, sectarian violence and regional instability - the very things that the invasion and occupation themselves have produced.
- But when sectarian dominance in any form has reared its ugly head, things have been bad.
- On Baghdad's streets, rumors are rife about renegade ministry of interior death squads, carrying out sectarian killings.
- And as political questions move down the agenda, so cultural and purely sectarian conflicts have risen to the fore.
- The truth is that the Orange Order can no longer parade in a nakedly sectarian and triumphalist fashion.
- Had she ever been involved in any sectarian conflict when she was growing up?
- Where sectarian activity can be proven among a club's support you suspend the club's licence.
- In northern Iraq, sectarian tensions are also escalating in the wake of the referendum.
- Their focus has been on Kashmir or on domestic sectarian violence.
- Furthermore, a significant percentage of those organizations have been pervasively sectarian and used religious criteria in their hiring.
- Random sectarian killings slowed and more IRA men were bumped off.
- Socialist politics are the only way to break down sectarian divisions.
- Chomsky himself has made some of the most deplorable, petty and doubtless sectarian attacks of any leftist I know.
- By implication, black feminism is cast as sectarian in comparison with radical or socialist feminism.
1sectario masculinesectaria feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.