In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(part)sector masculinethe private/public sector — el sector privado/público
- sectors of the population — sectores de la población
- There is an ambivalence in a peace settlement that large sectors of both populations oppose.
- We need to continue to support the development of childcare places in community, private and workplace sectors based on local identified need.
- The southern sector of the Roundway Hospital site was redeveloped about five years ago and is now called Drews Park.
- If we are to deliver sustainable growth for the bottom mussel sector will need the sector itself to be part of the decision making process.
- Combined they account for a huge portion of the beef sector which overall makes up about 90% of meat output in the Irish market.
- Females that approached from the front and back sectors should have seen hoods and males at greater angular separations.
- The belt of southern sectors from Sectors 31 to 49 and Sectors 20, 21, 22 and 23 were affected.
- Illegal rooms have been constructed by city residents on open terraces of the existing block of flats in the entire belt of the southern sectors.
- In many African cities, expatriates form a large part of the patronage sector of the local intelligentsia.
- In one of the southern sectors, one can admire the beautiful pink coloured landscape of cassias.
- This led to flooding of a large number of sectors in northern as well as southern sectors of Chandigarh.
- As Dr Eulenspiegel has rightly stated, these contributions encompassed a multiplicity of areas and sectors.
- The costs of organizing at the European level may be especially onerous for the voluntary non-profit sector.
- The negatives are related to the US, where rival luxury goods firms have been cutting prices - which is not the done thing in this portion of the sector.
- Some lawmakers questioned if those invited to take part in the two previous talks truly represented different sectors of society.
- What has happened is we've had this expedited return program in about four of the sectors along our southern border.
- Services were proposed to be delivered to citizens in rural areas in the following sectors on a priority basis.
- And certainly the GOP's ignoring of certain sectors of the population doesn't help.
- This silent divide will almost certainly lead to widening divisions in the sector based on individual and institutional privilege.
- He said that the Bobby Van targeted a vulnerable sector of society.
1.2Militarysector masculinethe American sector of the city — el sector americano de la ciudad
- The UN has split southern Sudan into six sectors, which will be controlled by different troop contributing countries.
- He found himself in Jallas area of Poonch sector inside the Indian territory near the Line of Control.
- However, Cork faced one major obstacle - the German troops freed up in the southern sectors of Norway, could now help the German troops around Narvik.
- This flight concentrated on the role usually played by the helicopter over the southern sector in response to naval tasking.
- The First Battalion of the Black Watch is based in the British sector of southern Iraq, near Basra.
- Smith described the fighting in the southern sector as heavy with ‘lots of casualties’ among al-Qaida forces.
2(of circle)sector masculine
- Each group was made up of units designated by letters, which were then assigned appropriate sectors on circles of different sizes.
- The protein molecules are modeled as 120 deg sectors of a circle.
- Kepler, in his work on planetary motion, had to find the area of sectors of an ellipse.
- We previously used a simple diagram showing a very small number of sectors.
- For example, Figure 4a shows three such rings formed from the sectors and rectangle in Figure 3a.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.