In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in wine, coffee)poso masculineconcho masculine Chilecuncho masculine Colombia
- The result is a clear, gluggable, star-bright jug of wine - and the contents of the glass can be swigged too, once the sediment has settled.
- There was a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass, but the wine waiter told us this was a sign of a good wine.
- Discard the sediment at the bottom of the drained container.
- I had no choice but to wait for the sediment to settle.
- Pour into eight clean plastic soft drink bottles, stirring the mix often as the sediment settles quickly.
- The wine is cleared of sediment and bottled under pressure, directly from the tank.
- It contains no spices and leaves a little sediment in the bottom of the cup.
- Look for a British beer with visible yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
- Just be sure to strain it first through a coffee filter to remove any remaining dirt or sediment.
- Serious restaurants will use crystal stemware of sufficient size to allow swirling and sniffing, and decanters should also be available for young wines in need of oxidation or old wines with sediment.
- My wife claims that disturbed sediment in wines affects taste as well as appearance.
- Ideally, red and fortified wines should stand upright for about a week before the event to adjust slowly to the increased temperature and to enable any sediment to settle at the bottom of the bottle.
- First stand the wine upright for a day or two, so all the sediment sinks to the bottom of the bottle.
- Fry these until just colouring and loosening the sediment from the bottom of the pan.
- Fill a jug and leave it to stand until the sediment has settled, then use the clear water at the top.
- The sediment will settle in a thick layer at the bottom.
- The generally immature nature of the palaeosols indicates that most vegetation colonized newly deposited fluvial sediments.
- Siliciclastic sediment is supplemented by skeletal debris of biological origin or by biochemically extracted calcium carbonate.
- The proportion of coarse sediment deposited in the plot drains increased with larger storms.
- Most coarse-grained clastic sediment that is deposited in turbidite basins is either derived from alluvial basins or shallow marine shelves.
- Areas of overlying sandy sediments were removed to expose the fossiliferous clay.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.