In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(oranges/grapes) sin pepitas(grapes/oranges) sin semillas
- The crisper drawer contains two apples, a bag of black seedless grapes, and a bulb of garlic.
- Cloning sheep would thus resemble the mass production of seedless oranges: genetic engineering designed to increase the pleasure and value humans get from property.
- Perhaps that's why seedless grapes were invented.
- Take a seedless green grape and cut it almost in half, leaving the halves connected by a bit of skin.
- If you like mushrooms on your pizza and red seedless grapes as a snack, you may be taking the first step to help your body ward off breast cancer.
- Our consumption of seedless fruits and veggies is on the rise, trading flavor and fertility for convenience.
- Since bananas are seedless, they do not rely on the germination of seeds to propagate themselves.
- We also dipped and dried our own prunes and figs, made raisins from seedless grapes, and dried the walnut crop in the fall for winter storage.
- Strange notions take over your mind when you've only had four hours of sleep and so I picked up seedless grapes, a cucumber and a coconut.
- Good paste tomatoes are seedless, meaty, and on the dry side - qualities that also tailor them perfectly to sauces and sun-drying.
- The theory goes that early hunter-gatherers must have stumbled across rare mutant plants that produced seedless, edible fruit - the forefather of today's commercial varieties.
- My salad consisted of thin slices of tender chicken and whole, seedless red and green grapes and cherry tomatoes on a bed of salad leaves.
- The very infertility of the hybrids thus propagated was cleverly used to create seedless fruits, which in and of themselves are interesting in practical pomology.
- Oranges are called seedless when they contain five seeds or less
- Both are sweet, seedless fruits borne by large, vigorous trees.
- The fruit is seedless, bright orange in colour, less acid than other mandarins, and keeps well.
- Frozen seedless grapes add a festive touch and help keep drinks cold.
- Most cultivated bananas are seedless, but the memories of seeds remain as brown specks within the flesh.
- Popcorn, dried figs, fresh cranberries, seedless grapes, or thick slices of a fresh orange can be strung into garlands and hung onto the higher boughs.
- The grape joins a series of top-quality red, white and black seedless grapes developed by this expert team.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.