In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(races/sexes) segregar(rival groups) mantener apartethey are kept segregated from the rest of the prisoners — los mantienen aislados del resto de los presos
- segregated school — escuela en la que se practica la segregación racial
- The Pentagon's official policy is to segregate juvenile prisoners from the rest of the prison population, and allow young inmates to join family members also being detained.
- Blacks in Washington, led by Sojourner Truth, boycotted segregated public transport.
- The four inmates - who are segregated from the rest of the prisoners - were only allowed to associate with each other one at a time, until earlier this year.
- The units are ethnically segregated and under a separate ethnic chain of command.
- The securities laws now provide that a firm must segregate its customers' moneys and hold them in a separate client account.
- The effect of non-secular, religious and segregated education is very destructive on the society as a whole, and on our children's happy, normal life, and upbringing.
- That fence has served its place, but now the different races living here aren't segregated anymore.
- Our data suggest that this difference in tertiary structure alone will segregate these membrane proteins into two different diffusion classes as well.
- One of the key principles in corporate governance practice is to properly segregate the powers for decision-making, execution and independent monitoring and challenge.
- The 24th Infantry Regiment was as segregated as the rest of the Army at the time; that is, white at the top, black in the ranks.
- In fact the only reason we're segregating it from the body of our posts is because it's got a different name.
- Black men fought in racially segregated units in the Civil War, first with African American officers and then, after 1863, with white officers
- I strongly believe that it is anti-social to segregate children's entertainment away from their family as a separate category.
- At first attending religious services segregated by race, slaves gradually accepted Christianity.
- Brown has been overturned and the education system is segregated again.
- Employment opportunities in segregated or partially segregated settings will continue under the new legislation.
- Up to that point, baseball had been as segregated as the rest of American life and blacks were forced to practise their craft in the Negro Leagues.
- It is also pressing for the lanes for public transport to be segregated from the rest of the traffic on the bridge.
- All segregated education must end.
- She has been segregated from the rest of the women in the prison ‘for her own safety’.
- Baltzell maintained that social status in the U.S. has been segregated along religious and regional lines.
- Recent research into the effect of US Charter Schools points to the creation of a socially segregated two-tier system.
- At present the army and the police are segregated from the rest of society, and are more or less unaccountable to the mass of people.
- Also, let us not forget that the military institution provides us with a means to segregate the less desirable members of society from the rest of us normals.
- The last thing he and his fellow polio sufferers wanted was to be segregated and treated as people apart, because they were not.
- Even the federal government and military were segregated up to this time.
- They can be defined sociologically and claim a unity that partly or wholly segregates them from the surrounding society.
- Racial groups are segregating themselves and retreating into ‘comfort zones’ made up of people like themselves.
- The Alabama bus system was segregated by race, with the first ten seats reserved exclusively for white people.
- Schools in Dundee are already beginning to segregate pupils by gender for PE classes, a practice which was phased out after the Second World War.
- The key to good recycling practice is to ensure that all recyclable materials are segregated correctly.
- A public middle school in South Carolina is segregating its classrooms.
- It required that blacks and whites be segregated on the basis of race.
- The result was a travel industry segregated along race lines, which reflected ‘not racism but ignorance’.
- The fragmentation of groups by government and police enable them to isolate and segregate different elements of a social movement in order to attack individual parts and impose an uncontested dominant structure.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.