In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act, thing chosen)selección feminineelección feminine(procedure/committee/board) de selecciónto make a selection — hacer una selección
- he read a selection of his poems — leyó una selección de sus poemas
- the selection for Saturday's game — la alineación para el partido del sábado
- selection process — proceso de selección
- Meals can be ordered by arranged sets from the menu or selections can be specially arranged from the large assortment of Japanese dishes available.
- The concert was organised by staff and pupils at Woodhouse Grove School and the school's choir and orchestra performed a selection of music with Bradford Cathedral Choir.
- Much of the progress in crop improvement over the past century is a direct result of careful site selection for testing.
- The evening's programme will also feature an 18-member Youth Orchestra playing selections from Broadway favourites.
- Each poet receives a critical and biographical appraisal and analysis, which is usually followed by a selection of their poems.
- Recommendations for risk reduction included a careful selection of an evaluation of safe medical devices.
- The careful selection of color and pattern allows for individual expression.
- Standard procedures for candidate selection and nomination often have to be adapted to local conditions.
- Perhaps, in the light of such a careful selection of material, editing was not necessary.
- Like so many of the other selections, this unfamiliar arrangement allows us to hear the timeless words and their meaning afresh.
- This text is followed by a selection of translated poems and a glossary of terms.
- Lowden MacCartney, the editor of an early selection of his poems, gave a vivid description of him.
- The evidence further suggests that careful selection of the potential candidates is crucial.
- Rules and procedures relating to selection of candidates were implemented and observed fully by members of the Election Task Force of the Green Party.
- In a genuine academic debate over selection of facts and their interpretation, people should be graceful enough to accept their folly, if and when it is exposed.
- The book is a selection of poems on a variety of themes - nature, magic, human identity, love and home.
- Dimitrova translated a selection of John Donne poems in 1999.
- The evening began with a selection of poems and songs from the junior classes and an in-school quiz.
- It was a first-class test of analysis, selection and integration which demonstrated a student's ability to think clearly before making a judgment.
- This is, of course, not by chance, but part of a careful selection of vocabulary and symbols created to contest the existential dilemma.
- The selections are arranged by themes and localities.
- It is different this year in that a lot of team selection is fact.
- The orchestra was finishing a selection by Grieg.
- The second surprise comes in the chosen selections.
- Fans who turn out for the premiere will be treated to the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing selections from John Williams' scores for the Star Wars movies.
- To help our readers get in where they fit in, we've chosen nonfiction selections that look both back to our past, and forward to our future.
- If you fancy a change from the sea theme, there are selections of poems from a number of poets with local connections of one sort or another.
- As the editorial note acknowledges, the interviews are only a selection from those originally gathered.
- The launch of the book honouring the life and work of James McKenna also coincided with the launch of a selection of poems on CD by Desmond Egan.
- Gilmore's standing, in short, could be helped by a fresh selection of her poems.
(of chocolates, buttons, yarns)surtido masculinea wide selection of new and used cars — una amplia gama de coches nuevos y usados
- Also on offer was a wide selection of coffee and tea.
- One of the good things about investing is that there is a wide selection of options, some of which do not require you to have a large amount of cash.
- The menu has a wide selection on offer, with everything from children's meals and snacks to comfort food and fresh seafood and game cooked with a contemporary twist.
- The result is recipes that offer a wider selection of foods, including a range of indulgent puddings, but still enable you to eat healthily and lose weight.
- The menu offers a wide selection of tapas, a few takes on paella and a couple of steak-and-pasta dishes, presumably for boyfriends more used to wings.
- The menu offered a wide selection of large and small snacks.
- The menu offers a wide selection of fish and seafood, as well as vegetarian dishes and, if that's not tempting enough, a blackboard lists the day's specials.
- By varying the components of the gel, Mentor is able to produce a wide selection of products ranging from a very soft to a very firm consistency.
- Even though Papa Ron's Pizza offers a wide selection of toppings, anchovies are not an option.
- ‘You need a good selection for a wide range of suitable purposes,’ he said.
- It is considered to be one of the world's most beautiful capitals, offering visitors a wide selection of sightseeing and outdoor-leisure options.
- There are also several hospitals with world-class facilities managed by hospitals based abroad and bookstores with a broad selection of publications.
- A wide selection of vegetables ranges from the familiar to the less so.
- Even with a reduced number of stalls, visitors were offered a varied selection of goods, ranging from walking sticks to photograph albums, and candyfloss to doughnuts.
- The menu is extensive, offering a wide selection of fish dishes, lamb, beef and duck.
- Their company offers a wide selection of tiles and a number of related services.
- A wide selection of hot or non-peppery dishes are available, such as the savoury sour peeled shrimp and crispy rice.
- Because of his various vineyard holdings throughout the south of France, Chapoutier is able to offer a wide selection of wines at all price levels.
- The pedestrianised town centre offers a wide selection of household names and specialist retailers.
- The menu offers a wide selection of French dishes, such as the French Onion Soup Au Gratin and Chicken Bordelaise Au Grand Marnier.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.