In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1confesohe's a self-confessed admirer of … — es un admirador confeso de …
- A self-confessed lover of all things British, Rose has already spent a year living in Bath after her degree where she worked in a stained glass art shop.
- She started drinking when she was 13 or 14, and over the years it built up until she was a self-confessed alcoholic.
- One of modern art's most fascinating figures, Salvador Dali was a self-confessed genius who took surrealism to startling extremes.
- Volunteers at the charity are self-confessed scavengers, regularly on the prowl for offcuts no longer needed by factories and offices.
- He is a self-confessed loner with, he admits, a strong streak of indiscipline.
- The self-confessed music lover, who has been studying it formally since he was a teenager, cannot sing enough about love.
- As a self-confessed, semi-anti-social loner, this sounds like heaven.
- The self-confessed drug addict admitted possessing heroin with intent, but claimed that he was only looking after it for another person.
- Many senior detectives had been fearful the self-confessed drugs dealer was somehow going to thwart justice.
- For a self-confessed control freak like Thorpe, preparation is everything.
- In 1997, the self-confessed computer nerd began sending copies of video recordings of each of his games to a Los Angeles company.
- Of the first 80 people they arrested, 76 were self-confessed drug addicts.
- Nicholls, a self-confessed opportunist, says it is all about exploiting the right opportunities when they come along.
- A self-confessed thrill seeker, the 35-year-old's latest penchant is motor racing.
- What better job for a self-confessed chocoholic than making chocolates?
- A self-confessed participator as opposed to spectator, I vowed to stop watching in awe and find out if it really is as easy as it looks on the TV.
- Yardley - a self-confessed smoker - does not think this is either fair or reasonable.
- Mitchell Wan is one of this rare breed of self-confessed yo-yo fanatics.
- This has not stopped him from becoming a self-confessed reggae freak.
- We are bound to assume that the self-confessed believer is utterly sincere.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.