In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Rather than being self-defeating, successful players are their own best friends.
- There is something very self-defeating in being immoral on principle.
- It seems to me that the idea is rather self-defeating.
- Seldom will so much hot air have been expended by so many for such a meanly self-serving and self-defeating result.
- Attempts at censorship are, in any case, self-defeating.
- Also, as we have seen in Japan and elsewhere, prosperity is self-defeating.
- Last week, I explained how violent acts of revolution would be self-defeating.
- I suggested to him that the party's policy was self-defeating.
- Given its findings, wouldn't that be a bit self-defeating?
- If you value a higher number of automobiles on the highways and also assign high scores to clean air, it is more self-defeating criteria.
- Such action is immoral, and it may also be self-defeating.
- It's rough and tumble and often self-defeating, but at least it's democratic.
- It looks to me like this silliness is rather quickly morphing into being both destructive and self-defeating.
- Like most prejudice, it's not only baseless, it's self-defeating.
- Making ourselves and our allies invisible out of protest is self-defeating.
- Nothing could be more futile and self-defeating than such a strategy.
- We cannot give in to nihilism or self-defeating subjectivism.
- It's sort of like an appendage, and no matter how burdensome or self-defeating it is, it's just there.
- The desperate drive for selfish gains is self-defeating.
- Why engage in artistic efforts at all if they are essentially futile and self-defeating and devoid of truth?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.