In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1autogobierno masculineautonomía feminine
- This power is realised directly through the organs of state power and local self-government.
- In others, the push for self-government had more respectable democratic credentials.
- It consisted of the landed gentlemen of NSW who assumed they would constitute the government when the colony acquired self-government.
- In June 1964, Britain accepted proposals for democratic self-government in Botswana.
- The final point to note about the elections is that democracy is meant to be about self-government.
- Their governments have very limited powers, and their people are too busy practicing self-government to worry about problems in other countries.
- Democratic self-government is not the most important thing in the world - but it's hardly chopped liver, either.
- He demanded responsible parliamentary government, local self-government and an independent judiciary.
- By disempowerment, the tribunal referred to the denigration and destruction of Maori autonomy, or self-government.
- It started well, but devolution quickly became an end in itself rather than a start of a process of democratisation and self-government.
- Its claims are not incompatible with those of science, technology, and democratic self-government.
- New Zealand finally emerged as an imperial power in its own right after gaining self-government from Britain at the turn of the century.
- This vision of cooperative self-government often produced republicanism and even democracy comparable to classical Greek democracy.
- A former province of a state is being prepared for substantial autonomy and self-government.
- The colony gained internal self-government in 1964, becoming fully independent on 10 July 1973.
- Freedom, democracy, security, solidarity, free enterprise and self-government are the main principles of the programme.
- The purpose of their constitutions is to contract radically the sphere of self-government - of democratic politics.
- That said, the problem still exists that self-government will not guarantee democracy or an openness that will take on board the wishes of ordinary people.
- The key is not so much to reduce group representation in federal bodies as it is to balance group representation with self-government.
- Officially, Puerto Rico became a U.S. commonwealth in 1952, when the island was granted limited self-government.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.