- He's only 15, but thinks like his dad, a pompous self-important academic.
- His sense of humour, always in evidence, made it impossible for him to seem pompous or self-important, and he never attempted to disguise his own fallibility as a human being.
- The sobriety of the streets is relieved by bridges with self-important towers or slightly pompous lions and griffins with gilded wings.
- As if concerned that his rants may appear too smug or self-important, he tempers them with spoonfuls of self-loathing.
- It was funny that two former fashion victims now find their former world overbearing and self-important.