In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I have no intention of disrupting their adjustment just because my currently holiday mopey self-pitying housemate thinks the world revolves around her.
- I'm going to be self-indulgent and self-pitying.
- Her self-pitying mood began after nominations on Tuesday night when she walked in on an intense conversation between Andre and Richard.
- Think of when you read back over old diary entries and the intensity of the mood that made you write them had passed, leaving only the faintly self-pitying words behind.
- I'm sorry for that, but weekends like I've just had make me nostalgic, self-pitying and sort of despairing once they're done.
- Unfortunately, he ends up more involved than the viewer, because the leading characters are self-obsessed, self-pitying and lacking in redemptive sympathy.
- Just as the musicians' lyrics are violent, obscene and self-pitying, so is the generation that supports their opulent lifestyle.
- It is virtually tuneless, self-pitying, uninteresting and is a world apart from the subtle atmospherics of the band's best work.
- Identitarian politics are clearly inadequate in such cases, merely empowering the self-pitying rhetoric of some groups - including, by the way, the far right.
- Thankfully, though, I believe that the Scottish art world has wider horizons than such navel-gazing, self-pitying introspection.
- Am I missing something, or is this a pathetic body of work, as whiny, self-pitying and incompetent as it is hateful?
- It is clear that the author needs a holiday as he has resorted to writing self-pitying rubbish, and bizarre Kaufman-esque ‘post-within-a post’ ramblings like this one.
- The least happy are the self-indulgent, self-centered, self-assertive, self-pitying, or simply selfish.
- I have not yet myself lived long enough on this earth to even begin to know what to say in answer to such a heartfelt but absurd and self-pitying statement.
- Sorry, I'm aware that the above paragraphs are little more than a protracted and self-pitying whinge, but I needed to get it off my chest.
- I'm bloody tired of having to accept weak, devious, self-pitying parasites who, in the end, do not want to help themselves and simply want a free ride.
- The forces of good are deceitful, proud and capricious; evil is largely unrepentant, self-pitying and, yet, absolved.
- I'm perfectly aware that even at the best of times, the above post would seem excessively introverted, self-pitying and navel-gazing.
- While he is strangely compelling in this role at first, the red and self-pitying eyes get old after the first 30 minutes.
- It includes text which Joan wanted to use to show what it feels like to have breast cancer without making it depressing or self-pitying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.