In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Emasculated plants produced 1.3 times the number of seeds produced by plants experiencing natural self-pollination.
- Treatment B was conducted to examine autonomous self-pollination by enclosing intact flowers, before anthesis, in small plastic bags.
- As for calculation of the selfing rate, self-pollination was with pollen from other flowers of the same plant.
- Geitonogamy can be due to self-pollination between flowers on the same branch, different flowering branches of the same plant, or different ramets of the same clonal genet.
- This result is contrary to our hypothesis that the pollination-dependent detrimental fitness effects of clipping were caused by increased self-pollination in damaged plants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.