In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1no self-respecting editor would work for them — ningún editor que se precie trabajaría para ellos
- Any self-respecting Italian wears dark glasses, in winter, in summer, indoors and out, while eating or sleeping.
- No self-respecting editor would ever ask that question.
- What if homeschooling is a choice of which self-respecting women should be proud?
- Some pitiable excuses were pleaded, and in a great many instances it was said that lack of boots and clothing had compelled self-respecting parents to keep their offspring at home.
- I'd go to Lexington and make him confess to being something no self-respecting photographer should ever call himself: an artist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.