- Her idea of a ‘fun job’ is putting on a crash helmet and maneuvering one of the station's two 47-foot self-righting motor lifeboats through 14-foot breaking waves.
- The 47-foot motor lifeboats are the backbone of the Coast Guard's rescue fleet and are designed to be self-righting in about 12 seconds and withstand breaking waves up to 20 feet.
- A locally designed and built self-righting search-and-rescue boat joined the national coast guard fleet yesterday to help beef up its disaster-relief capabilities.
- A year earlier, the intrepid oars-woman tried to row across the north Atlantic in the same 23-foot, self-righting craft, starting from North Carolina's Outer Banks.
- To add capability in maritime salvage, the coast guard said it had plans to buy six self-righting vessels and one multi-function ship with both fire fighting and towing capabilities.