In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The winners were chosen for showing bravery in the face of disability, illness or selfless devotion to others.
- Certainly no one should imagine media corporations are suddenly guided by selfless altruism.
- The play attracted a large audience among the young, who were greatly moved by Che's selfless heroism.
- In the film he is someone with a generous heart and an open mind, sensitive, selfless and even noble.
- They have given an example to all the community by their selfless dedication to any job they undertook to better the area.
- That selfless act - at the moment of their deepest grief - has provided the gift of life to at least five other people.
- It is a community rather less motivated by tolerance, acceptance and the virtues of selfless denial.
- My desire to acquire a little bit of rented land on which to grow all things green did not arise from a need to be part of this selfless gardening community.
- One cannot but stand in awe of such selfless devotion to a cause.
- Not surprisingly, according to Microsoft, the whole scheme is an exercise in selfless public service.
- Kieran was a selfless man who gave of his time generously to everyone.
- One of the most brave and unique documentary projects, it leaves you in awe of its selfless creator and his generous family.
- Anyone with a noble thought or a selfless instinct winds up dead or surrendering to despair.
- It's a measure of the selfless charity of the donor that she did not want her name mentioned.
- We lived together for two years at university, and I soon came to know her as one of the kindest and most selfless people I have ever known.
- He is always hilarious, selfless and one of England's finest sons.
- He is a selfless individual always keen to help others, particularly his own family and his neighbours.
- Their history is replete with heroic deeds of selfless devotion and supreme sacrifice over the years.
- It was suggested last week that the Queen epitomised the spirit of selfless public service.
- He made a brave, selfless decision to choose life and to fight for every single day that he shared with us.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.