In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fecha límite de venta femininethis food is past its sell-by date — esta comida ya se pasó de la fecha límite
- The supermarket chain tagged packs of Gillette Mach3 razor blades so that staff were automatically alerted to stock levels, sell-by dates and whether a product had been paid for when it left the shop.
- Keep food cupboards clean, tidy and dry and throw out products that have gone past their sell-by date.
- Fresh produce that is about to go past its sell-by date can be frozen for future use.
- Officers acted after the stores allegedly ignored previous warnings and more food past its sell-by date was allegedly found on shelves.
- There was, for example, the day I guzzled all the children's chocolate, then told them I'd thrown it out because it was past its sell-by date.
- Now, I'm getting really sloshed and need a bag of crisps, so why not try Golden Blunder, the crisps that are past their sell-by date?
- Damn, the wine is Chardonnay and the crisps are past their sell-by date.
- Its lawyer, William Hudson, admitted the company had three pages of previous convictions, but only one for selling past a sell-by date in North Yorkshire, for which it had been cautioned.
- The Fareshare scheme in Southampton receives 26,000 trays of food past the sell-by date but within the use-by date donated by supermarkets each year.
- And then I decided I should trawl through the rest of the food in my cupboard to see if there was anything else hiding in there that was well past its sell-by date.
- When Sainsbury's turned up, the centre was asked for £1.20… for four bags of potatoes that were past their sell-by date.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.