In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Their semi pulls 30-foot grain trailers instead of normal 40-footers.
- Motioning with their flashlights on either side of the trailer, Anthony and his new employer got the semi backed up to the crumbling cement dock of Fourteen building.
- Stephanie pressed hard on the accelerator and the car shot forward out of the trucks path, the semi missing them by less than a foot.
- It looks suspiciously like a freezer, only very, very large; like the trailer of a semi.
2British(house)casa pareada femininecasa adosada feminine
- Prices range from £115,500 for a three-bedroom semi to £169,900 for a four-bedroom detached house.
- York, he said, had many good properties from two- and three-bedroom town and terraced houses to semis and riverside apartments.
- The development is made up of five unit styles: two- and three-bedroom townhouses, three-bedroom semis and four-bedroom semis with or without a kitchen extension.
- Mr Cunningham said the fuel bill for the three-bedroom semi he shares with his wife and two children is on average between £200 and £300 a quarter.
- A development of three- and five-bedroom town houses, two-bedroom apartments and three-bed semis.
- Their house is a two-bedroom semi in Melbourne, 12 miles from York.
- They also plan to buy a bigger house than their three-bedroom semi, although Mr Stone said he would not leave his job as an IT analyst in South Manchester.
- She bought a neighbouring semi to house her collection.
- Eddie, an engineer by trade, started building his ‘castle’ when the run-down semi attached to his house went on the market.
- Hannah's father, David, is a coal merchant and the family live in a three-bedroom semi.
- The house was a three bedroomed semi with a joint garden at the front and an overgrown jungle at the back where bushes and vines actually reached out of chest high grass to scratch and scrape at the back porch.
- Due for completion in February, Ridgewood is situated at Forrest Road in Swords and has a mix of two-bedroom townhouses, four-bedroom semis and four-bedroom detached houses.
- Parallel to the seafront, Castle Avenue is a quirky road of elegant Victorian red-brick houses, 1930s-built semis and modest bungalows.
- Bookings are now being taken off the plans for six two-bedroom semi-detached houses, three three-bedroom semis and 12 four-bedroom semis.
- My first house was a three-bed semi in Saundersted, Surrey, which I bought for £15,500, £14,500 of which I had to borrow.
- Hollowshaw was kicked out of the three-bedroom semi after the housing association won a court order for possession.
- Even a three-bedroom semi would be worth considerably more today than our modest cottage.
- They have performed in a range of different homes from suburban semis and flats to country mansions.
- We're on the Medway estate, a well-kept network of mock Tudor semis and desirable council housing complete with spring blossom and multi-car ownership.
- Sitting one day in their three-bedroom semi in Audenshaw, Andy and Anna looked out to see two teenagers climbing up a drainpipe of the Junction pub opposite.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.