In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Police said he walked into an economics class at Monash University and fired a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol, killing two male students in their 20s, both of Asian background, and wounding five others.
- But she was only using a semi-automatic handgun, not a machine gun.
- The machine has three modes of operation: automatic, semi-automatic and interactive.
- Other options will include Climatic, a semi-automatic air conditioning system which uses less fuel than a conventional system and integrated rear child seats.
- It is a stand-alone, base-mounted semi-automatic unit.
- Among the arms recovered were handguns, semi-automatic firearms, explosives, pipe bombs, bomb components and several bombs.
- The only things you can fire off there are sparklers, fountains, birthday candles and semi-automatic firearms.
- ‘He had a shotgun and a semi-automatic rifle and he appeared to open fire at random on employees,’ he said.
- Over the past three years, there has been growing interest in measuring human travel patterns using Global Positioning System or other similar semi-automatic devices.
- Dusty and half-hidden they may have been, but there was no denying what was buried on his land - a cache of machine-guns and semi-automatic rifles.
- But, in Idaho, let's remember this is a semi-automatic firearm.
- The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.
- An amnesty to get guns off the streets of Bradford has seen rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic pistols handed over.
- The convertible is available with a manual or semi-automatic cloth-lined top that opens and closes in 13 seconds.
- The introduction of the semi-automatic gearbox with no clutch pedal by both Renault and Saab failed to impress the market.
- The gearbox is an electrohydraulically-operated semi-automatic, and the hydraulics need to be pumped up by the engine.
- The automatic gearbox performed well in both semi-automatic and automatic modes.
- The Smart is very easy to drive and the semi-automatic sequential gearbox is fine - once you get used to it.
- A rifle and a semi-automatic handgun were also found in the drugs operation, following weeks of surveillance by officers from the Clare and Limerick drug squads.
- Flashbangs, frag grenades, silenced semi-automatic guns and sniper rifles are just a few of the arms you can load each member of your team with.
- We carried semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with hollow point shells designed to pierce a boarder's hull right below the water line.
- We have investigated three major methodologies used in the automatic and semi-automatic classification of text.
- Where fully automatic techniques are inapplicable, semi-automatic equipment can combine the advantages of manual and automatic welding.
- The semi-automatic transmission is smooth and takes less getting used to than you would think.
- It is an easy car to drive, with a semi-automatic gearbox that is effortless to use.
- Because it's more difficult for potential offenders to get their hands on a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun, they're using handguns or knives or syringes instead.
- Investigators said they suspected shotguns and semi-automatic pistols were used in the attack.
- Once hailed as the ultimate home-defense firearm, pistol-caliber semi-automatic carbines never caught on as well with the police or the general public as it did with gun writers.
- The toll facility consists of four channels with manual toll collection and two channels with semi-automatic toll collection.
- McDermott was seated in a chair in the building lobby armed with an assault-style semi-automatic rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and a semi-automatic handgun, having finished his rampage by that time.
- All that is transmitted through a semi-automatic five-speed gearbox, which is a delight to use.
- They fired several rounds from handguns and semi-automatic rifles at the vehicle, which finally came to a halt about 500 metres from the depot with all four wheels punctured.
- Production facilities include a variety of automatic and semi-automatic sheet metal presses, forming equipment and robot welding cells.
- Softeners are automatic, semi-automatic, or manual.
- The shipment contained 220 assault rifles and 60 semi-automatic shotguns.
- Pandemonium erupted yesterday when eight armed robbers wielding semi-automatic rifles and handguns opened fire in the packed Walmer Park Shopping Centre, causing shoppers to run screaming in terror.
- But as the war progressed the bolt action rifle was increasingly supplemented, or replaced, by carbines and by a variety of other automatic and semi-automatic firearms.
- And adverb placement (especially for connective adverbs) is relatively easy to study by automatic or semi-automatic means.
- But turn the key, click the semi-automatic gearshift into drive and as the revs rise, comfort drops down the scale.
- The weapon has an automatic hydraulic laying system and the loading system is semi-automatic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.